Sooooo, Lego Star Wars: Let me tell you something, when you get a game and it is marked as part of the Platinum Hits Family Collection, you sort of get a wry face, like you just happened upon moldy bread or some shit. Be as it may though, I was under the impression Lego Star Wars was a good game, it is, and was a great game to play with a friend, sure, so the wryness didn't last long.
The game, as far as mechanics go, really consist of really basic platforming, with extensive exploration, and shit that I really do not feel comfortable calling puzzle solving. Now the lack of intense puzzle solving really doesn't bother me as much as it could since the meat and potatoes of this game is exploration. And what makes this exploration fun for me is not on the initial run through, which I presume they made dog tired and boring for parents playing through with brain dead tots. But upon unlocking other "specially abled" characters, you get a chance to go through a level again in "free play" and try all the different possible characters to see how you can get to other parts of the level. This exploration tid bit in of itself becomes the puzzle and I think with a few beers, and a chill person to co-op with, I could sink a crap load of hours into exploring these levels.
Lastly I'll comment on two things, holy fuck the pod race is difficult with two people since you seem to pull eachother drastically at times, throwing eachother off. And, holy fuck there are a lot of different characters you can unlock, including Darth Maul and General Grievous. (I think I remember that from the packaging, but fret naught, we've unlocked Darth Maul already and he is awesome).
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
While Lego Star Wars has many shortcomings, it does have one thing that alot of other much more complex and (at least what I consider better designed) lack, and is one of the most important elements, and that is it's fun to play. Yes, it's confusing at times, and quite ridiculous at times, there is something extremely satisfying about running around tearing up shit with a lightsaber and using the force. I should really give some of the Jedi Knight or Jedi Academy games a try...
Post a Comment