Saturday, March 04, 2006

World of Borecraft

I think World of Warcraft is boring. I just could not handle it, the inevitable grind from level 40 to 60 was killing me. I have a level 43 or 44 (he's 43) character on the Thunderlord server and well, I just feel like there is nothing fun for him to do.

Now I understand there are exciting instances and amazing new items for him to acquire. The problem is, I don’t find instances, or slightly stat boosting items terribly interesting.

When I get the latest piece of armor for my character, it is no longer like stumbling upon a rare artifact, of which its existance I had not known until it stumbled into my life. Brushing the dust off of one of these items reveals either something that everyone has been looking for because they knew everything about it from thottbot or an item that feels randomly generated with no character and no backstory. And I guess therein lies the rub, the lack of character. The warcraft universe is mindblowingly deep and large with (because of World Of Warcraft) a whole world of NPCs who, though they are unique, bear an intense resemblance to eachother. Much the same applies to almost everything in World Of Warcraft, just like the items. Since there is so much content in World Of Warcraft to account for all the millions of players and the subsequent millions of hours they pour into the game, the game design and craft of blizzard has been stretched rather thin.

I’m tired of killing x of a creature, collecting x items, protecting x people, and walking to x place. There are many other places for KidTsunami to adventure but they currently are not in the World of Warcraft.

2 comments:

Ben said...

I think you’re right on many of your points, but… and I think it’s a pretty big but, because it’s where all your points break, at least in my mind. You haven’t gotten to the part of the game where storylines become more prevalent, items are of a certain rarity, look and advantage that seeking them out and getting them becomes a worthwhile and enjoyable task.

Your very right about many things in the game being stretched thin, and I think the range of levels between 35 and 48 are horribe (with the exception of Zul Farrak and Scarlet Monastery). I think once you get past that point, while the 50’s are long and arduous there is alot to do, and the items start getting better along with the storylines. Searing Gorge (re)introduces you to the Dark Iron Dwarves which connects up with the Blackrocks and Black Dragonflight eventually leading all the way to Nefarion. A few levels after that you can start to quest in the plaugelands which introduces you to the scourge and you once again begin to encounter the Scarlet Crusade and their storyline which extends all the way through Scholomance and Stratholme. Once you get very close to 60 you get into some of the storyline with the Silithid, Cenarion Circle and Bronze Dragonflight, which, in the expansion pack, will lead to hooks deep into the Warcraft universe with the Caverns of Time.

My point is I don’t think you’ve given the game a chance. Part of that is your fault, part of it is the fault of Blizzard, and part of it is the endless supply of jackass players on Thunderlord. Another point of interest unique to your experience in the game, is that very few people buy or are given as much in the game as you have been. I can tell you it's much more rewarding to run an instance several times in search of an item, than to buy it or mats for it on the auction house and then craft it. Certainly working up to being able to craft that item is, but that can also be circumvented if you have enough resources.

One more point I feel compelled to make, is that the game is only as big of a timesink as you allow it to be. I have played with many players that play a few hours one or two nights a week, if that, and they enjoy it immensely, they are all level 60’s now and have been for quite a while, and although they don’t, for the most part, take part in some of the most intense endgame content, they seem to enjoy what they’re doing very much. So I think maybe something that might help you enjoy the game better, is the relax, take a step back and take it less seriously.

Anonymous said...

The anniversary of the site is coming up. I'm so excited. I bought myself five cakes.