Sunday, October 19, 2008

Political ads in video games

Obama has decided to advertise his campaign in Burnout as well as Madden this year. I don't think I've ever seen advertising used in this way but I don't think it will be very effective on those playing the game itself. I saw a map of how to find the one Obama billboard in burnout and it looks like something that will be effective just because its going to get media coverage from the mainstream media as well as blogger like myself. Personally I don't think its going to give Obama any type of noticeable bump among gamers but its nice to see politicians trying new things to actually go after the youth vote which most do not bother with. Hopefully this will just stay to background stuff that is not too noticeable or something that works itself into the story because if this turns into a trend that ruins the flow or immersion of the game it would be very disappointing.

No comments: