Thursday, October 16, 2008

I love Fable

SO, I just finished Fable for a second time. This is long after I have forgotten what Molyneux hyped Fable to be, so I won't be commenting on how it lives up that. I'm just going to make a pros and cons list to keep this simple and maintain your attention.

Pros:
  1. Separate Experience: You would get strength experience, skill experience, and will experience based off of your use of said abilities. It really enforced with me a feeling of working on the strength of my character by getting strength experience through swinging my sword and helped define my character's passing interest in will use by supplying me with a piddly amount of will experience. This made selecting the attributes of my character a more engrossing experience since it was tied to what I was doing.
  2. Combat Modifier: I absolutely loved the combat modifier. Basically, the more hits you land on enemies without them hitting you the more your combat modifier increased. This meant that the experience you gathered would be multiplied by that value. This made it so even if I was not in danger of dying during certain encounters, I still had a vested interest in fighting the best way I could. This made every fight interesting for me.
  3. Apperance: I loved wearing scary clothes, and rocking scary body modifications, haircuts/tattoos. This made villagers and other people react to me in a funny way since I did overwhelmingly good things.
  4. Combat variety: I was a fast slashing ranger that used will to further increase my quick a nimble sword fighting. This was drastically different from my archery focused previous character. This made the game fresh again and I was able to enjoy the whole game a whole other time.
  5. Boasts: Before going on a quest, you could make a boast which is basically risking some gold on a challenge to get more gold and renown if you accomplish it. Doing this added more challenge to quests in creative ways that are optional to the player. This made this specific playthrough to me and I got really good at going on quests naked (a popular boast).
  6. Renown: I enjoyed having renown in the world and having it reflected in my interactions with people. I liked running around town and showing off my severed balverine head and having everyone cheer. I also enjoyed taking more quests to have more renown. It was overall a cool system and I hope it's improved upon for the sequel.
  7. Non cinematic heavy story: I hate sitting passively and watching the TV, I enjoyed the brief cinematics in Fable. If I'm going to spend a lot of time on a game, I want most of that time to be playing it, not watching it.
Cons:
  1. Other Heros: Apparently there's this guild of heros in the game.... consisting of 2 heros? You actually see more than 2 heros, yourself and whisper (another hero around your age) but they're only around for no more than 3% of your playtime. You really don't feel like Albion is lorded over by this guild of heros but instead feel like some sort of lone hero, which is highly displeasurable. Not a fan of the lone hero storylines. I prefer there to be other people around.
  2. Was this game finished? I know now in retrospect there were other releases of Fable, that apparently fleshed out some of the content. But I wonder if they also fixed some other mechanics. It may be the case that I was too stupid to be able to, but I was unable to cancel a mission. Which is unfortunate because areas are then set up for that mission once you accept it, so a part of town will be teaming with town guards out to kill you when you don't want them to. I just wish there was some better mission management.
  3. Loading screens: The areas were tiny and loading times between them. I found it obnoxious to travel anywhere, and I would have actually travelled on foot throughout the world, trading with wandering traders and fighting off bandits if it weren't so frustrating. Hence I used the quick travel more than I probably should have.
  4. Prison: Fuck prison, I don't like being in prison and don't like playing a character in prison either. I'm not fucking Tobias Funke, don't make me a frightened prisoner.
  5. Shit thats not loading screens but feels like it: When I dug anything up with a shovel it had a mini cut scene that was obnoxious and took longer than I wanted. I hope Fable 2 has little to no loading. PERIOD.
I was going to have an end note, but this is already far too long.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

frightened prison #2 ftw