Friday, August 29, 2008

Why WAR is awesome

Screw it. I was going to write an "unbiased" review of WAR with comparison to WoW etc etc, but who am I kidding. Here are some random things that WAR, at it's core, does better than WoW.

Mana, wtf. WoW halfway did it with the rogue/warrior. WAR took it to where it needed to go. Drinking and eating is for chumps. Oh that's right, I'm here to fight, not watch my character drink water. In fact, with morale abilities, WAR *encourages* constant/chain fights.

I remember when WoW battlegrounds were decent, save for the lame honor system that forced everyone to exploit. WAR is shipping with 30 scenarios using many game types. Yup, got that covered.

Public quests (PQs) are kickass. No, I can't dedicate every thursday from 6-10pm. Yes, I want to log in an immediately get into a PvE fight with a dozen other players. Mythic, have you been reading my diary?

Arenas, wtf. A MMORPG is one of the *worst* platforms for esports. Not only do you have to balance every class for a 2v2 fight, but it's detached from the lore. And WoW prides itself for it's lore... RvR is a much better solution. You can't have that many players fighting in one spot in *any other* genre. Plus, it follows lore (aka feels like it should be in the game). Oh yea, the keep sieges are also PQs, crazy!

Remember in WoW when you did that raid as a level 5? Oh wait, you didn't. You grinded your fourth toon through the same pre-70 (soon 80) content just so that you could raid. However, *I* remember making a level 1 and doing nothing but RvR and scenarios last weekend.

WoW mods are maybe some of the worst things to hit that game. I'm not talking about simple UI changes, I'm talking about enemy cast timers, ToT, etc. WoW is getting to the point where a bot could play the game, no wait, it IS at that point. Worse yet, you *have* to have a few of those mods to be participate. I'm not saying WAR gives you nothing, but it's cautious nature certainly helps preserve the human element. Simple UI tweaks will be available, so rest assured.

Here's the skinny: WoW uses the carrot on the stick. They keep you interested with the gear. If that's your bag, fine. WAR uses it's users to keep you interested. That's why they give you everything in the beginning. If WoW gave you every raid instance (and hence, the gear) at level 10, would people stay for 70? WAR knows that people dig user influenced content. Living cities, territory control, living guilds, standards, it's all about the *players*.

No comments: