Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Vista, a short term reflection

Well as I said a week ago I was switching to Vista, and for the past four days I have been Vista capable. The biggest problem I have run into to date is having issues using Ventrilo when playing Warhammer Online, but with the issues I have had with Warhammer Online i would not be so quick to blame Vista for these issues. Vista so far has just been more annoying than XP, but as someone who has worked in a help desk scenario I know what Microsoft was trying to do. There is a way to turn the constant barrage of questions off but so far I've been too lazy to find out how. Now that I've had more of a chance to get familiar with Vista on a personal level and not something I used at work while we waited for our XP downgrades to come in, it seems have its major failing being too protective. I have personally helped people who would freeze up if a program I told them over the phone to close asked them if they were sure they wanted to really do that. Some people do not like to be asked questions by their computers because some people just do not know how they work and are afraid of messing something up. Vista fails the bill for those who are not computer literate because they are constantly asked questions about what they are doing on the computer and for most users that is no good.

This is a gaming blog so Vista and gaming? well I do not have a game that can really test that out, i played through Portal again and it did not seem any different, and Warhammer was still just as buggy as it was with XP. Overall I do not really notice a change between the two, though I did get Vista Ultimate which came with Media Center so I have had fun messing around with that, but other than that no real big pros or cons either way. I will say Vista is more complicated and it seems to incorporate many more options than XP making tuning the machine easier in terms of what you can do but harder in terms of where you find everything, but with a new core that will always be the case so i won't harp on that. Overall an uneventful transition that has given me a piece of software that I have yet to crash, and i am interested to see how long i can keep it that way. One goal of Vista was to be something that stays up for long periods of time so i will be putting that up to the test in the future.

2 comments:

Herb said...

Why did you switch to Vista? You're the one that put me on to OSX and I love it. I purchased an OEM of XP to play TF2 but other than that, i never touch XP unless i am at work. So what made you switch?

-Herbie
http://herbsreview.blogspot.com/
http://web.me.com/herbiew10

KidTsunami said...

Hey, this post was actually written by someone else. I still rock OS X, and I boot into XP for steam.

I have Vista at work for development and haven't enjoyed it all that much.