Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Viva Pinata and game interfaces

Best game of last year for the 360? Too early to tell, especially considering the continued play I'm giving Gears of War due to new found interest in the multiplayer


Regardless of Gears of War's existence though, the overly cutesy and almost creepy Viva Pinata should be recognized as a great game and enjoyed by many. Let me count the ways:
(1) There are no breaks in new content or activities, there is always something new just around the corner
(2) There are a lot of interface things right with it, like having a Secret of Mana-esque menu system
(3) A great notification system

By pondering the interface, I've sort of driven myself to thinking about the negative aspects of the game. These are mainly interface issues which only strike me as insufficient in comparison to the other parts of the interface that perform beautifully:

(1) Selecting things require you to really hold the A down for a good moment, taking away from a "clicking around" mentality, making me feel clumsy when trying to quickly select a pinata and make it fuck the shit out of another one
(2) The notification of when you have a pinata down will let you "view" where the problem is, but will zoom you back to where you're from so that you have to actually direct yourself over there to click on the pinata and heal it. I really wish there was a quick way to handle these notifications and call the doctor without the fuss I currently have to get involved in.
(3) Dealing with shop keepers and buying things requires a loading screen and an exit from your garden, give me some in garden ordering and I'll be in heaven.

In spite of these minor inconveniences, I love this game and can only hope it's sales pickup and inspire a possible sequel or some other progression of the design.

No comments: